Hip Hop General

edited September 2012 in Audible
I don't know if we have a hip-hop thread going, but here it is. What rap do you like, guys? Rappers, albums, mainstream, underground, I guess this is the place. But the real reason for this thread is a certain Mr. West. /mu/ has a good point. His fifth album [i]My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy[/i] is in my opinion one of the greatest hip-hop achievements ever. It's one of the greatest albums to combine pop and art this side of the decade, too. An example: 'Runaway' A nine minute song. Which starts after one minute. And ends with a two minute vocoder solo. And the video has ballerinas. And the sparse but thought out lyrics are fantastic. That's enough Yeezy worship for now. What do you guys think?

Comments

• edited September 2012
    i've always loved that beat. honest lyrics. i wish it wasn't censored, i find it really distracting. you like goodie mob? bout time we had this thread.
  • "And the video has ballerinas" ha! this is KEY!
  • i liked the 2 performances on SNL with the white backdrop / ballerinas and the set up for both power and run a way hey! that runaway thing is a HIT when he just hits those triggered samples look at chu look at chu! HEY! that HEY is key! i like the edit version of that for the I sent a girl a pic of my HEY! who DOES that hey?> it's so familiar! and the vocode outro is great! it could have just kept going twice THREE TIMES as long and i'd damn diggit!
  • LOST IN THE WORLD was my fave though... oh man really i don't like rap ... esp. not thuggy n-word this bitch that swearing to be cool talking about money power and fame and all that garbage.. .ugh ... why do people put up with that bullshit? just UGH! so it takes a lot for a rap song to "rise above" that ... it doesn't happen often... most times i finally think Ok it won't be THAT bad and check out some random new or famous rap guy or song ... within 10 seconds they already drop the n-word or f-word and it's just the same old tired hat... duck that cat!
  • edited September 2012
    [quote=G.O. !]really i don't like rap ... esp. not thuggy n-word this bitch that swearing to be cool talking about money power and fame and all that garbage.. .ugh ... why do people put up with that bullshit? just UGH![/quote] you don't get the appeal because you're white. seriously. it's not part of your culture. part of black culture [i]is[/i] talking openly about status. it's a totally different set of social rules, so to you it may seem vulgar or whatever. to black people i imagine some of the white people music we listen to and praise and think is amazing and artful and oh my god how could anyone not like that sounds fucking stupid. lol. there's nothing to rise above. it's not a bad thing. this kind of rap is just different. and black people are allowed to say "nigga". it seems more obscene to me that we try to take that away from them, too, even though white people stole their ancestors and their ancestors' culture from them already. it's not enough that we've made an entire culture miserable, now we want to sanitize a word that WE want to forget because it reminds us of our despicable past. that's the only reason it's considered "obscene". it refers to a time when we acted like inhuman pieces of shit. so what if black culture doesn't want their suffering swept under the rug by the same people who caused it? edit: honestly, the bullshit i'm not sure why people put up with is the white guy put-downs of a culture of self-expression that they have no understanding of at all... you're judging a different culture by your own cultural standards. that doesn't make sense.
  • this is for you <3
  • [quote=G.O. !]LOST IN THE WORLD was my fave though... oh manreally i don't like rap ... esp. not thuggy n-word this bitch that swearing to be cool talking about money power and fame and all that garbage.. .ugh ... why do people put up with that bullshit? just UGH!so it takes a lot for a rap song to "rise above" that ... it doesn't happen often...most times i finally think Ok it won't be THAT bad and check out some random new or famous rap guy or song ... within 10 seconds they already drop the n-word or f-word and it's just the same old tired hat... duck that cat![/quote] How bout this guy then? No swears :3
  • Its all about A Tribe Called Quest, Dr.Dre, Immortal Technique, MF doom, & Busta I do enjoy some old skool eminem tho
  • edited September 2012
    Sorry, I didn't realize the Runaway video was the censored version ^ It's annoying when songs are censored, that's like ripping paragraphs out of a book and it sucks and it's not cool. I love Lost In The World, it's one of my favourites. But I must say, I really appreciate all of the album. It's a surprisingly heavy thing to listen too, and incredibly deep (imo), what isn't said is just as important as what is said in some cases (maybe the ending of Blame Game is unnecessary, but meh). Monster has grown on me immensely. It's so repulsive, but it's also so visceral and fits so perfectly into the concept that I like it a lot, for all the expletives flying (you've been warned) Who knew Nicki Minaj had actual talent? -- I have to check out the songs/rappers you guys mentioned now. Purp, I don't think I've listened to half those artists which is shameful I know. Dre's style is interesting, but I was put off by the lyrics. And Doom seems like a rapper I should love, but can't get into. I love Accordion though: -- Thoughts on Kid CuDi? His music frustrates me, because he seems really talented and like a REAL alternative mainstream rapper, but he's not focused and whatever. Imo his music itself is missing something
  • Sagey hates rap like G.O. hates the troniks
  • What do you mean G.O. hates the troniks? As in ELECtroniks? IMPOSSIBLE
  • meant purp doesn't hate rap lol
  • My roomie and i left cudi's first album in her car for a whole summer, i kindof have an attachment to it i guess. The second one grew on me but he's turned to complete shit now..
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah CuDi's a pretty frustrating artist overall. He's kind of gone downhill now, agreed
  • kid cudi is aight... for honkey cracker white boys lololololololol
  • i too have a connection with kid cudi's first album because it was never taken out of my brothers car for a whole winter
  • heater, i can imagine a future career for you.. building patios
  • and rapping about it as i work
  • If you guys want some good alt rappers to listen to, check out [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhymesayers_Entertainment]Rhymesayers Entertainment[/url]. They're my go to label for good rap music, people like the late Eyedea, Aesop Rock, MF Doom, Slug, Blueprint, and Brother Ali are signed to this label. Here's a fantastic song that features a lot of these people.
  • fuckin awesome. i love most types of rap but this shit it cream of the crop.
  • I don't understand rap. and the lyrics are important. If you let me look at the insert...no, I still don't understand these words.
  • Here, try this on for size. Aesop Rock is normally way too dense and heavy on metaphor, but this one is more of a stream of conscious description of his neighborhood. (It's still full of metaphor though)
  • like half the ones you listed up there are where i'm from! the mini soda! sadly i'm not into it at all so it's always a bit weird how big the hip hop scene is here and wordly known and to not!
  • This song ripped open the asshole of my mind when I first heard it.
  • woo tang? must be the new thang!
  • wu tang paddle, i want one
  • edited December 2012
    [quote=winilula]I don't understand rap. and the lyrics are important. If you let me look at the insert...no, I still don't understand these words.[/quote] Saul Williams' "Coded Language" is excellent: lyrics are here: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858491915/ [quote] We claim the present as the pre-sent, as the hereafter. We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun. We are not afraid of the darkness, we trust that the moon shall guide us. We are determining the future at this very moment. We now know that the heart is the philosophers' stone Our music is our alchemy We stand as the manifested equivalent of 3 buckets of water and a hand full of minerals, thus realizing that those very buckets turned upside down supply the percussion factor of forever. If you must count to keep the beat then count. Find you mantra and awaken your subconscious.[/quote] although far and away my favorite thing of his is the first thing i heard of his, "Ohm": lyrics are here: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107859033675/ [quote] Through meditation I program my heart To beat breakbeats and hum basslines on exhalation I burn seven day candles that melt Into twelve inch circles on my mantle And I can fade worlds in and out with my mixing patterns Letting the Earth spin as I blend in Saturn [/quote]
  • I rarely ever pay attention to the lyrics when i listen to hip-hop.
  • there are a few that are worth doing that with. el-p, saul williams, sometimes jean grae or sage francis, a few others. el p and saul can do whimsical wordplay like an andy partridge or something. kanye gets a lot of shit, but his production is top notch, too bad about the ego.
  • edited December 2012
    This song sounds more punk than hip hop, but regardless, eyedea is fantastic.
  • When I listen to hip hop I pay most attention to rhythmic patterns and analogies used. I also pay much attention to instrumentation and purpose. I used to listen to common and lupe fiasco as they are a good transition for those who want to like rap but are not regularly exposed to it. I listened to them after I discovered Bone thugs, Dr Dre, snoop dog, wu tang, and before that My interests in hip hop was tied to Bob Dylan's subterranian homesick blues and pop shit. Common and Lupe are more homogenious orriented as they do not glorify sex drugs and money but rather say things like "I overcame my situation through the power of Jesus Christ" yada yada. I hear folks complain about mainstream rap but it's not like snoop dog never rapped about sex drugs and money. When Juicy J asserts "I have more bitches than a dog catcher and that Bill Gates bread is what I'm chasing after" I laugh my ass off. But underneath these tones of shovanism is a legitimate distain for the situation of the "game". I like most kinds of rap but not so much latino rap or shorty in the club rap. I'm selective within the mainstream. Occasionally I'll listen to waka flocka flame or Chief Kief but Curren$y is highly underated. A$ap Rocky is good but his lyrics aren't very creative many times.
  • I pretty much only listen to rap music that has a really interesting musical accompaniment. I don't like hip-hop which is just a guy rapping over a really simple, minimalist beat because rapping alone doesn't interest me much. I guess i kind of like it when rapping is just another addition to the track rather than being the entire focus of it.
  • Does anyone here like Death Grips? I have this strange fascination with being yelled at by a hobo.
  • i really dig death grips it's not my absolute favorite but if i knew someone was into really dense aggro stuff, i'd totally put that on a mix. it's like a vocal version of the bomb squad or skinny puppy or something
  • why's he so angry!
  • wudnt consider death grips rap really but yeah no love deep web is one of my fav albums
  • Have you not listened to Ex-military? How is this not rap?
  • hippity hop! rap crap!
  • I WOKE UP IN A NEW BUGATTI!
  • don't criticize trap
  • i got game like kobe act like you know me!
  • the title of this thread always make me think of Hip Hop Harry crossed with that General from those "go to the General and save some time" (?)insurance(?) commercials.
  • taylor army or die
  • yo yo YO! :(|)
  • death grips in general arent rap was what i was saying
  • it's pretty damn rappy!