How would you rank AnCo's albums and the songs on them?

edited October 2012 in Animal Tracks
I was bored, so I made this list... 1) Here Comes the Indian (2003): Panic > Infant Dressing Table > Two Sails on a Sound > Too Soon > Native Belle > Slippi > Hey Light 2) Strawberry Jam (2007): #1 > Derek > For Reverend Green > Unsolved Mysteries = Chores > Peacebone > Cuckoo Cuckoo > Fireworks > Winter Wonder Land 3) Merriweather Post Pavilion (2009): Taste > Brother Sport > Guys Eyes > My Girls > Daily Routine > Bluish > In the Flowers > Summertime Clothes > Lion in a Coma > Also Frightened > No More Runnin 4) Feels (2005): Daffy Duck > Loch Raven > Did You See the Words > Banshee Beat > Bees > Grass = Turn Into Something > The Purple Bottle > Flesh Canoe 5) Danse Manatee (2001): Throwin the Round Ball > Essplode > Lablakely Dress > In the Singing Box > The Living Toys > Runnin the Round Ball > Bad Crumbs > Meet the Light Child > Ahhh Good Country > Another White Singer (Little White Glove) > A Manatee Dance > Penguin Penguin 6) Centipede Hz (2012): New Town Burnout > Mercury Man > Rosie Oh > Applesauce > Today's Supernatural > Amanita > Moonjock > Monkey Riches > Father Time > Wide Eyed > Pulleys 7) Hollinndagain (2002): Tell It to the Mountain > I See You Pan > Lablakely Dress > Pride and Fight > Forest Gospel > There's an Arrow > Pumpkin Gets a Snakebite 8) Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished (2000): April and the Phantom > Bat You'll Fly > Spirit They've Vanished > Chocolate Girl = Alvin Row > La Rapet > Someday I'll Grow to Be as Tall as the Giant > Penny Dreadfuls > Untitled > Everyone Whistling 9) Sung Tongs (2004): Visiting Friends > We Tigers > Winter's Love > College > Kids on Holiday > Sweet Road > The Softest Voice = Good Lovin Outside > Leaf House > Who Could Win a Rabbit > Mouth Wooed Her > Whaddit I Done 10) Campfire Songs (2003): Doggy > Two Corvettes > Queen in My Pictures > De Soto de Son > Moo Rah Rah Rain

Comments

• edited October 2012
    You missed peacebone [-( All i know is Feels is my favorite album, and Loch Raven and Turn Into Something are my favorites off of that album.
  • Thanks brah. I probably missed more somewhere there. Feels was their first album I listened to, so I love it especially for that.
  • [quote]) Danse Manatee (2001): Throwin the Round Ball > Essplode > Lablakely Dress > In the Singing Box > The Living Toys > Bad Crumbs = Runnin the Round Ball > Ahhh Good Country > Meet the Light Child > Another White Singer (Little White Glove) > A Manatee Dance > Penguin Penguin [/quote] the living toys above ANYTHING = no go! manatee danse > penguin? no! meet the light child that far damn down NOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo! duck it all!
  • The Softest Voice = Good Lovin Outside > LEAF+RABBIT? ok now i know yr just joking / joshing / trawling!
  • edited October 2012
    Rofl, if I wanted to troll I would've made a more short and to the point post. I doubted anyone would even read my rankings in detail... I LOVE THE SOFTEST VOICE AND THE LIVING TOYS... SO WHAT!? AND PENGUIN PENGUIN IS THE MOST UNLISTENABLE THING ANCO HAS EVER DONE (for me)! But I do genuinely like Meet the Light Child very much, just not as much as most of the other tracks on Danse. "and the only thing really left to say after that is... boom."
  • wait what the hell is that from if it is what i think it is... then you are freaking me out!
  • It's from Observe and Report, the "what if Travis Bickle was a mall cop" movie.
  • [quote=G.O. !]The Softest Voice = Good Lovin Outside > LEAF+RABBIT?ok now i know yr just joking / joshing / trawling![/quote] I'll admit, I was tempted to mention my mild shock upon reading that segment. Don't want to be mean or anything; it's right on that you like what you like. Just never really seen that before. So much for my expectations. Gone! Gone away from here.
  • [quote=coreyhoulden]Centipede Hz (2012):New Town Burnout > Mercury Man > Rosie Oh > Applesauce > Today's Supernatural > Amanita > Moonjock > Monkey Riches > Father Time > Wide Eyed > Pulleys[/quote] Our top two for Hz are equal, but Wide Eyed so low? Why?? [img]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/80948541/Deakin+deakness.jpg[/img]
  • Because Tasty Games. Which happens to be first on his list (me, too!)
  • edited October 2012
    Haha it's no biggie, but I don't understand why The Softest Voice generally gets such a bad rap. Is it because people enjoy the first two songs so much and the third is such a drastic departure from the sound? On my first listen of Sung Tongs I didn't get into the album until The Softest Voice, actually. But I have come to love Leaf and Rabbit since then, I'm not completely crazy. Also, I've got nothing against The Deak, but the song just feels a tiny bit bland to me (forgive me, Deakin). Not a bad song, a quite good one actually, just not up to par with most of Hz. I would still love to hear him sing more. #baseddeak
  • You don't need to apologize :) But for the record: #baseddeak accepts your apology.
  • It's actually pretty great live, though. And on any other band's album, it would be the top song. AnCo and CHz are just both so great altogether. But I'm surprised I'm not getting called out on choosing Daffy Duck as my top Feels song, though. That's what I expected first and foremost.
  • I wasn't going to call you out at all, but now that I already have and that you've mentioned it... BANSHEE BEAT FOURTH???? PURPLE BOTTLE SECOND TO LAST???? ??!@WD:W!F:!#?F?!??E?E?F and while i'm at it... snakebite last? dude it's trollz it haz to be i know i was all accepty but it's trolllz is haz to be
  • nevertheless i'm glad you posted this. serious!
  • edited October 2012
    Lol, I wasn't trolling. But I seem to be getting the same satisfaction from this reaction as a troll would. Only the reaction is to my actual opinion, which makes it feel even better. It's pretty great. The problem with ranking Animal Collective's songs and/or albums is that you would generally look at something in last place as being bad. But with AnCo, just about everything they're doing is so great and always changing that there are going to be people who find a low placement of almost any song/album just absurd.
  • Only doing top 5 because it's all I have time for. 1-Strawberry Jam: Cuckoo Cuckoo > Fireworks > For Reverend Green > Peacebone > Unsolved Mysteries > #1 > Chores > Winter Wonder Land > Derek 2-Feels: Banshee Beat > DYSTW? > Turn into Something > Purple Bottle > Bees > Loch Raven > Grass > Daffy Duck > Flesh Canoe 3-Centipede Hz: Amanita > Moonjock > Applesauce > New Town Burnout > Wide Eyed > Rosie Oh > Pulleys > Today's Supernatural > Monkey Riches > Father Time > Mercury Man 4-MPP: In The Flowers > Taste > Lion in a Coma> Also Frightened > Brother Sport > Daily Routine > My Girls > Summertime Clothes > Bluish > Guys Eyes > No More Runnin' 5-STGSTV: Alvin Row > Chocolate Girl > April and the Phantom > La Rapet > Bat You'll Fly > Spirit They've Vanished > Penny Dreadfuls > Someday... > (Untitled) > Everyone Whistling
  • 1- Strawberry Jam: Fireworks> Derek> Cuckoo Cuckoo> #1> Chores> Peacebone> Unsolved Mysteries> Winter Wonder Land>> For Reverend Green ( I dont think it fits on the album) 2- MPP: Summertime Clothes> My Girls> Brothersport> Taste> Guys Eyes> Lion in a coma> Daily Routine> No more runnin> Also Frightened Hmm Ill have to decide the rest later
  • Idk how you guys do this
  • it's so massive / random it might as well be 348 > kdiu > 3k34kj > sa8281 >>>>> dek9 = popiu1
  • edited October 2012
    I was only able to do it out of intense boredom (I make lists when I get bored), it only represents what I liked at that moment in time. I don't claim for it to be like "Corey Houlden's official Animal Collective song-by-song rankings list", some of the songs rankings have probably changed since I made it except for the absolute favourites and least favourites. It's pretty much just a more time consuming version of the "this song or that song" discussion (all the songs in one as opposed to multiple two song at a time posts). Also, a complaint about a list being too massive and random coming from a guy who ranked his top 100 films?
  • i love essplode and meet the light child and hey light and chocolate girl and chores and street flash and cobwebs and new town burnout and banshee beat an bluish and what would i want sky andhoneycomb and monkey riches and fireworks and the softest voice and doggy and kids on holiday and those are just ones at the top of my head.
  • I don't think I could rank albums like this. It would make me sad. ;_; Where is this 100 films list, G.O?
  • What is this, a top 100 films list?
  • the 100 films list came from picking some of the more random jokey entries that wouldn't ever be on a list of anyone who actually is really hardcore into films and that whole snobbery... then i kinda updated it with some that i more liked that would be... but at first it was just Bubble Boy, Freddie Got Fingered, all the Saws, Jason X, Glen or Glenda, etc and the like ilk elk! i'll bump the thread!
  • Top 100 lists list, Number one list of all time or that list, The list about the top 1000 lists. Feel like saying all that with a lisp or something.
  • foreth gothpull!
  • I think doing a numbers game like on CA would be cool... would anyone wanna start that? Albums might be most fun..
  • edited November 2012
    Ya id be down for that
  • edited November 2012
    It seems like most people there hate it except the people who are constantly doing it (aside from one person who I think just gets a kick out of knowing they're doing something that annoys a lot of people). [b]My favorite animal collective album[/b] 2004/05/30 at KFC
  • I don't get the hate, seems harmless enough as long as people don't take it too seriously.
  • edited November 2012
    It's just a totally non-creative waste of space. Sharing opinions is all a game, and simply writing lists without even trying to describe a damn thing about it is just really, really boring.
  • [quote=Dave]nevertheless i'm glad you posted this. serious![/quote] lol
  • top 3 out of context bits of that post: 3) self-indulgently spouting 2) silly ego-game path, 1) stagnant. Knock
  • Dave im seriously laughing so hard at these rants
  • I have not been to CA in ages. Please enlighten me to this "game of numbers" you put forward as a tantalizer. I feel old and dirty saying 'tantalizer' ha ha ahhhhh
  • Okay well i'm really bored and i also make lists when i'm bored so i think i'll throw one of these together. 1) Strawberry Jam: Peacebone > For Reverend Green > Fireworks > Winter Wonderland > Chores > Unsolved Mysteries > Derek > Cuckoo Cuckoo > #1 2) Sung Tongs: Winter's Love > Who Could Win a Rabbit > Kids on Holiday > Leaf House > Sweet Road > We Tigers > Mouth Wooed Her > The Softest Voice > Good Lovin Outside > Visiting Friends > College > Whaddit I Done 3) Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished: Alvin Row > La Rapet > Bat You'll Fly > Someday > Chocolate Girl > April and the Phantom > Spirit They've Vanished > Penny Dreadfuls > (Untitled) > Everyone Whistling 4) Merriweather Post Pavilion: Brothersport > Summertime Clothes > My Girls > Guys Eyes > Taste > In the Flowers > Also Frightened > Lion in a Coma > Bluish > Daily Routine > No more Runnin 5) Centipede Hz: Applesauce > Moonjock > Monkey Riches > New Town Burnout > Today's Supernatural > Amanita > Rosie Oh > Mercury Man > Wide Eyed > Father Time > Pulleys 6) Feels: Grass > Did You See the Words? > Purple Bottle > Banshee Beat > Loch Raven > Turn Into Something > Bees > Daffy Duck > Flesh Canoe 7) Danse Manatee: Meet the Light Child > Ahhh Good Country > Throwin' the Round Ball > Essplode > Another White Singer > Lablakely Dress > In the Singing Box > Runnin the Round Ball > Bad Crumbs > Penguin Penguin > The Living Toys > A Manatee Dance 8) Here Comes the Indian: Slippi > Native Belle > Infant Dressing Table > Hey Light > Too Soon > Two Sails on a Sound > Panic 9) Hollindagain: Pride and Fight > Forest Gospel > I See You Pan > Lablakely Dress > Tell it to the mountain > There's an Arrow > Pumpkin Gets a Snakebite 10) Campfire Songs: Doggy > De Soto De Son > Moo Rah Rah Rain > Two Corvettes > Queen in My Pictures Basically i really love the first 8 albums and each one has been my favorite at some point so this was hard to choose. I like the other two but i don't listen to them often and they're not on the level of all the other albums.
  • Right so I'm gonna include ODDSAC but exclude Hollindagain because it's a live album plus I couldn't share much insight anyway because I've only listened a couple of times 1)Feels: Banshee Beat > Did You See The Words > Loch Raven > Bees > Grass > Turn Into Something > Daffy Duck > The Purple Bottle > Flesh Canoe 2)Sung Tongs: College > Leaf House > Kids On Holiday > The Softest Voice > Winter's Love > Mouth Wooed Her > We Tigers > Sweet Road > Who Could Win A Rabbit > Good Lovin Outside > Visiting Friends > Whaddit I Done 3)Strawberry Jam: For Reverend Green > Cuckoo Cuckoo > Peacebone > Chores > Derek > Fireworks > Winter Wonderland > #1 > Unsolved Mysteries 4)Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished: Chocolate Girl > Someday I'll Grow To Be As Tall As A Giant > [Untitled] > Alvin Row > Everyone Whistling > Spirit They've Vanished > April And The Phantom > Bat You'll Fly > La Rapet > Penny Dreadfuls 5)Merriweather Post Pavilion: Brothersport > No More Runnin' > Taste > Also Frightened > Daily Routine > Lion In A Coma > Guy's Eyes > Summertime Clothes > My Girls > In The Flowers > Bluish 6)Campfire Songs: Doggy > Queen In My Pictures > De Soto De Son > Two Corvettes > Moon Rah Rah Rain 7)Here Comes The Indian: Slippi > Infant Dressing Table > Two Sails On A Sound > Hey Light > Panic > Native Belle > Too Soon 8)Centipede Hz: Monkey Riches > New Town Burnout > Applesauce > Mercury Man > Amanita > Moonjock > Today's Supernatural > Rosie Oh > Pulleys > Wide Eyed > Father Time 9)ODDSAC: What Happened > Tantrum Barb > Working > Kindle Song > Lady On The Lake > Fried Vamp > Green Beans > Screens > Mr. Fingers > Mess Your House > Urban Creme > Fried Camp > Satin Orb Wash 10)Danse Manatee: Essplode > In The Singing Box > Lablakely Dress > Another White Singer (Little White Glove) > Runnin' The Round Ball > Throwin' The Round Ball > Ahhh Good Country > Bad Crumbs > Meet The Light Child > The Living Toys > A Manatee Dance > Penguin Penguin
  • Also I've gotta say that it's pretty difficult for me to rank the albums (and some songs on them). I'd say that Spirit, Merriweather, Campfire, Indian and Centipede are pretty much joint for me. ALSO a lot of my favourites are on the EPs and singles (plus Happy Singing Band and There's An Arrow)
  • Alright so we decide on something to vote on, either songs or albums and set it up like this: Spirit - 5 Danse - 5 Sung Tongs - 5 Oddsac - 5 Merriweather - 5 And then people take turns voting, up voting one and down voting another like so: Spirit - 5 Danse - 6 (+) Sung Tongs - 5 Oddsac - 5 Merriweather - 4 (-) Until only one remains! Resets of the score have to be done periodically and some form of rule needs to be made as to how often a person can vote, but it's pretty easy/fun/weshoulddoit?
  • dont get mad at me 1. Here comes the indian: two sails on a sound > panic > infant dressing table > hey light = native belle > slippi 2. Merriwether Post Pavilion brother sport > also frightened > no more runnin > lion in a coma > guys eyes=taste > in the flowers=my girls > summertime clothes=daily routine > bluish 3. Sung Tongs visiting friends > winters love > leaf house > WCWAR > kids on holiday > we tigers > college > good lovin outside > whaddit i done > the softest voice >mouth wooed her > sweet road 4.Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished SIGTBATATG > april and the phantom > alvin row > spirit they've vanished > chocolate girl > la rapet > untitled > bat you'll fly > everyone whistling > penny dreadfuls 5. Danse Manatee a manatee danse(into)penguin penguin > ahhh good country > meet the light child > in the singing box > essplode > dancin the round ball > new white singer > runnin the round ball > the living toys=bad crumbs > lablakely dress 6. Feels banshee beat > grass> loch raven > daffy duck > bees > turn into something > the purple bottle > dystw > flesh canoe 7. Campfire Songs doggy > de soto de son=queen in my pictures > two corvettes > moo rah rah rain 8. Hollinndagain i see you pan=pride and fight=forest gospel > lablakely dress > there's an arrow > pumpkin gets a snakebite > tell it to the mountain 9. ODDSAC mr. fingers > urban creme > working > screens > what happened > kindle song > tantrum barb > fried camp > satin orb wash > green beans > mess hour house > fried vamp > lady on the lake 10. Centipede Hz mercury man > moonjock > new town burnout > pulleys > today's supernatural > rosie oh > applesauce > monkey riches > father time > wide eyed > amanita 11. Strawberry Jam unsolved mysteries > fireworks > peacebone > FRG > chores > #1 > derek > winter wonderland > cuckoo cuckoo im really sorry SJ fans. you have to understand that SJ is incredibly high in my list of all albums ever, but it just doesnt top any other AC album
  • sebsattin, I don't think I've ever seen Mr. Fingers so low in an Oddsac ranking.. that and My Girls and The Purple Bottle and #1 I disagree the most with, and No More Runnin so high!? In The Flowers second to last?? At least Bluish is where it should be at the bottom, ha. Still, we do not see eye to eye on Merriweather at all.
  • edited November 2012
    So Two Sails and Panic would both be in your top 5 then Ticon? How close is IDT? Lot of Someday love.. it's fun to read SIGTBATATG out loud. Also, Dancin the Round Ball? lol
  • Xiomera - I found it hardest to rank the ODDSAC songs because they're mostly equal to me. The only ones that are higher or lower than the rest are What Happened on top and Fried Camp/Satin Orb Wash on the bottom. Same kind of thing for a lot of the albums which may explain the #1 and Purple Bottle placings. I overdid My Girls when it first came out, so it's kind of worn off for me. In The Flowers is great but underwhelmed me as an opener to an otherwise very cohesive album. No More Runnin' was the only new song that really stuck in my head after seeing them at a gig in 2008 so has had some long-standing effect.
  • Come to think of it, that was an amazing setlist in retrospect. Maybe we could start a new thread of best setlists we've seen? I'm a bit too list obsessive but there you go. Here's the one I was talking about from 2008 http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/animal-collective/2008/koko-london-england-1bd6f14c.html
  • No more runnin is the best xiomera wtf
  • It splits opinion right down the middle
  • edited November 2012
    Ha I love it on the album, it's perfect and necessary between Brothersport and Lion in A Coma... but it's no Brothersport or Lion in a Coma. Just not enough going on, it's pretty sparse. Gorgeous, but incapable of reaching the heights (and staying there) that many of the other songs do. [quote=sebsattin]Xiomera - I found it hardest to rank the ODDSAC songs because they're mostly equal to me. The only ones that are higher or lower than the rest are What Happened on top and Fried Camp/Satin Orb Wash on the bottom. Same kind of thing for a lot of the albums which may explain the #1 and Purple Bottle placings.[/quote] Yeah this happens to me a lot too. I feel like I could do this and agree with it: Fireworks=For Reverend Green=#1=Winter Wonderland=Peacebone=Derek=Cuckoo=Chores=Unsolved Mysteries And yet I like Fireworks a lot more than Unsolved Mysteries. Principle of transitivity myth busted
  • My favourites also tend to shift around on various albums so I suppose it'd be easier to say which songs I consistently like the least - that'd be Unsolved Mysteries on SJ, Whaddit I Done on ST and Bluish on MPP. Never really cared for any of them much, ESPECIALLY sat next to everything else on those records.