AC Approved Joints

edited November 2012 in Audible
Could be cool to get an exhaustive list going, even if it includes obvs shit like Pavement. Let's try to keep it accurate. Interviews, PP liner notes, and ATP lineup (etc.) are good gauges for this Update: Added notes to cite the source and if they've singled out particular albums, will be better Black Dice Pavement The Beatles The Zombies* [u]Hip-Hop/R&B[/u] Madlib J Dilla Outkast Big Boi Eric B & Rakim* Dr. Dre* Notorious B.I.G.* Wu-Tang Clan* Ghostface Killah* ODB* Nas* Pete Rock* Jay-Z [u]Composer[/u] Ennio Morricone* Erik Satie* Tony Conrad# Terry Riley Eyvind Kang^ [u]Electronic[/u] Basic Channel* Luomo* Dettinger* Wolfgang Voigt* Black Dice* The Orb* Basement Jaxx* Air* Aphex Twin* Isolee* Ricardo Villalobos* Kraftwerk* Actress Oneohtrix Point Never #- [url=http://www.spin.com/articles/the-animal-collective-centipedia]Centipedia[/url] ^- Avey, Other Music Staff List *-Panda, PP liner notes

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Gang Gang Dance Broadcast Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 Stereolab these ones are damn good! add prince rama to the list!
  • Grouper Big Boi Madlib Zomby J Dilla Burial Oneohtrix Point Never Pantha Du Prince Actress Vashti Bunyan Beach House Daft Punk these ones? not so much! uh!
  • Broadcast may be the best band I've discovered through the Animal Band. Haha Sound is a gorgeous, poignant little album. Feel you on some of those. Actress has been a hard for me to get into, and still don't feel like I "get" Oneohtrix. A lot of the time my interest in discovering what the band sees in a group keeps me going. :S
  • yr not the REAL brody!
  • Hahahah, that gave me a smile. Rispek, you are funny.
  • They said that they listen to and were influenced by a lot of Krautrock like Can and Neu so i guess they should be added to the list.
  • edited October 2012
    I had just been listening to Broadcast's Tender Buttons... uncanny. [quote=G.O. !]J Dilla, Burial, Daft Punk. These ones? not so much!uh![/quote] Really? Burial is awesome, Dilla has (edit: had, RIP dude) some really good ideas and Daft Punk are pretty good considering how popular they are (Imho, the most popular electronic artists tend to be mediocre and repetitive) [quote=ElCamino]They said that they listen to and were influenced by a lot of Krautrock like Can and Neu so i guess they should be added to the list.[/quote] I'd been meaning to start on Krautrock, so I guess this is my chance.
  • yeah my problem with a lot of that dub step crap or tronik stuff (esp. daft bunk!) is how damn repetitive it is... and middle of the road to begin with! and so often they or DEAD DILLA steal other peoples stuff so even if it's groovy i mean they didn't really make it? ... it's artistic but i don't think it can ever quite be genius... it'd be like being an amazing painter versus taking tons of other peoples paintings and cutting them into pieces and making a collage... are you as brilliant as the painters? maybe some would say so ... i don't know!
  • edited October 2012
    Have you heard that Avalanches album G.O.? maybe that could change your mind because to me it's pretty genius how they use all their samples, it's not like they just steal a few songs and mash them together, they just take small parts from thousands of records like drum beats or vocal samples and they end up completely different from the feel of the songs sampled. I don't know how it can be discredited just because they didn't create the tiny snippets of music that they use because it's pretty ridiculous how it's all thrown together. [quote]I'd been meaning to start on Krautrock, so I guess this is my chance.[/quote] I think Can would be a good starting point.
  • [quote=G.O. !]yeah my problem with a lot of that dub step crap or tronik stuff (esp. daft bunk!) is how damn repetitive it is... and middle of the road to begin with!and so often they or DEAD DILLA steal other peoples stuff so even if it's groovy i mean they didn't really make it? ... it's artistic but i don't think it can ever quite be genius... it'd be like being an amazing painter versus taking tons of other peoples paintings and cutting them into pieces and making a collage... are you as brilliant as the painters? maybe some would say so ... i don't know![/quote] Comparing art to art is pretty futile I guess, although you and I and everybody does it all the time. Yes, I'd say that was art. I'd define art as the artist communicating something to the spectator/audience, so art is everything and nothing and subjectivity parade. [quote=ElCamino]Have you heard that Avalanches album G.O.?maybe that could change your mind because to me it's pretty genius how they use all their samples, it's not like they just steal a few songs and mash them together, they just take small parts from thousands of records like drum beats or vocal samples and they end up completely different from the feel of the songs sampled. I don't know how it can be discredited just because they didn't create the tiny snippets of music that they use because it's pretty ridiculous how it's all thrown together.I'd been meaning to start on Krautrock, so I guess this is my chance.I think Can would be a good starting point.[/quote] That Avalanches album is brilliance. I'm starting with Can and Neu! on the krautrock thing
  • Comparing art to art is just playing! If we can remember that, we can choose to play nice. I forget [i]all the time![/i]
  • The things you post out of character are terribly revealing G.O. (particularly when it comes to sampling and hip-hop) Would you say any sample-based music is illegitimate? Excepting stuff like P. Diddy songs I'd say it takes a lot more work than you'd think to spin something original from previously existing stuff. AC really does nerd out when it comes to Madlib though. I remember an anecdote from Geo on the real old board about how the band tried to get a copy of Here Comes the Indian to Madlib in hopes that he'd sample it in some songs.
  • I started making sample based music a few weeks ago and it was definitely way harder than i expected, it takes literally hours to make something that actually sounds good, or maybe i just aren't using the right programs. But it makes you appreciate the effort those musicians put in to it to make their sample based stuff. Even matching a drum beat with a vocal sample or something takes a lot of effort, let alone making whole albums of it. [quote]AC really does nerd out when it comes to Madlib though. I remember an anecdote from Geo on the real old board about how the band tried to get a copy of Here Comes the Indian to Madlib in hopes that he'd sample it in some songs.[/quote] Haha i remember reading that, i got really into madlib and madvillain through them, i can't see how anything off HCTI would work in his music though.
  • I didn't know that about the Madlib thing! It would be really cool if he sampled them, somehow. His stuff on Madvillain is pretty cool, but it took me some time to get into it. By the way (don't shoot me), what's so special about Pavement? They seem pretty normal to me, you know? Nothing much that draws you in, really? (I may be eating these words in a week's time, by the way)
  • edited October 2012
    [quote=FauxBrody]Would you say any sample-based music is illegitimate? Excepting stuff like P. Diddy songs I'd say it takes a lot more work than you'd think to spin something original from previously existing stuff.[/quote] I don't want to speak for GO, but he didn't actually say that sample-based music was illegitimate -- he said that he didn't think it could ever quite be genius. It's a jump from not-quite-the-highest-tier to illegitimate. I tend to agree with that as a rule, though WWIW?S is on the level of transcendent art for me and excepts the rule. Heavy use of samples does seem to limit the experience for me, though; sometimes it's because I can't stop thinking of the original, and in some cases how much better the original was (M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes", for instance); other times it just doesn't feel natural to the song, like there's some kind of jarring not-quite-togetherness that doesn't sound natural or pleasant (like the Dead's pleasant not-quite-togetherness or that of Bob Dylan's backing bands especially around the [i]Highway 61[/i] era). I don't know if anyone else can relate. As far as taking a collage of other artists' work and making it your own... The best example of doing that and succeeding (and really succeeding; it actually isn't a [i]great[/i] example because the end result of it really breaks away from the original in nature almost totally) is Kurosawa's short based on (and perhaps a tribute to?) Van Gogh in his movie [i]Dreams[/i]. I find it transcendent much in the same way Van Gogh's originals are, though different in personality and presentation.
  • edited October 2012
    [b][/b]
  • edited October 2012
    See, it always struck me as more of a civil rights thing.
  • I think this article covers most of their biggest influences/favorite bands: http://www.spin.com/articles/the-animal-collective-centipedia
  • Have they mentioned The Incredible String Band? I could see the influence maybe, but I dunno if it's one of the groups they dig or something.
  • Thinking this list could be better if broken down to categories, even if broadly. Like composer/classical, electronic, hip-hop
  • This thread sucks and it's everyone else's fault
  • I remember someone bringing up that they cited the Residents as an influence. I can definitely see that in things like ODDSAC and the way they continually try and push boundaries in their music.
  • I wonder who The Residents cite as examples! (I am very familiar with them). Elvis? John Phillip Sousa? I don't remember listening to a predecessor of The Residents and thinking, "Man! So that's where they got that from!" haha! You know? Except Elvis and John Phillip Sousa and some others.
  • [url] Residents Infomercial
  • Wow i wonder what could be in that box!
  • edited December 2012
    [quote=winilula]I wonder who The Residents cite as examples! (I am very familiar with them). Elvis? John Phillip Sousa? I don't remember listening to a predecessor of The Residents and thinking, "Man! So that's where they got that from!"haha!You know?Except Elvis and John Phillip Sousa and some others.[/quote] Yeah it's hard to tell who their influences would be because they sound nothing like anyone before them, i guess you could see influences in individual songs but as a whole they exist in a different realm of music from anyone else. There is a fair amount of music now that you could say "wow they sound like the residents" or you can tell that the residents are an influence but it doesn't seem to work the other way which shows how original they were.
  • Two hits and the joint turned brown
  • edited December 2012
    l
  • i am sure they would approve
  • edited December 2012
  • yup yup yup it is a big beautiful cycle kids
  • My girlfriend hates The Beach Boys... :(
  • i used to hate them, dig pet sounds
  • I still hate their early stuff, like goddamn Barbara Ann, but I really like Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, Smile and Sunflower.
  • ha ha goddamn Barbara Ann please take my goddamn hand Goddamn Barbara Ann You got me rocking and a rolling rocking and a reeling Goddamn Barbara Ann, god-damn-bar-bar-a-ann
  • haha ha ha, wini
  • NO! NOW IT'S IN MY HEAD!
  • I love that song
  • YES, I just posted God Only Knows a minute ago in the other thread. It truly is a fantastic song. I've only listened to Pet Sounds yet, are any of the other albums worth a listen?
  • Smile is great. My favorite version is Purple Chick.
  • [quote=G.O. !]GrouperBig BoiMadlibZombyJ DillaBurialOneohtrix Point NeverPantha Du PrinceActressVashti BunyanBeach HouseDaft Punkthese ones? not so much!uh![/quote] woah i didnt know they were into grouper. grouper's the shit man, whatchu talkin bout?
  • Hunter S Thompson got with a purple chick
  • ph34r & oar gloathing! THE GLOAMING! the sad klowne - FRoWNE!