Why all the hats?

edited November 2012 in Animal Tracks
After reading several reviews of Chz, I dont understand why many people are so displeased with it. Almost every review tries to compare it to Merriweather. Only a few of the people who review it dont try to compare it to mpp. Its like people were expecting a mpp part 2, and now that they listen and realize it is something very different and new, they dont like it.

Comments

• the problem is them comparing! and had it been "MPP Pt 2: THE REVENGE" they'd complain that it's too much like MPP but not as good it was a lose/lose battle and AC kinda knew this i think hence the nice long break of oddsak / solo / etc releases... we should be thankful! secretly...
  • Not comparing it to anything at this point. I don't find myself listening to it.
  • Yeah I really enjoy it. Dave you havent listened to it?
  • edited October 2012
    I've listened to it plenty. I don't find myself listening to it now. Haven't since shortly after its release. It just doesn't move me enough to pick it and put it on.
  • i haven't listened for a good while but that's how i am with nearly all types of music you listen once... maybe a 2nd or 3rd time... then a long break before you come back to it! most people listen to it like 10 times within the first leak / release which to me is insane!
  • to you thats insane! I've listened to it around 30 times i think sometimes i'll have really intense, emotional listens other times i'll have boring, underwhelming, disappointing listens there was just a period of time shortly after it was released when it was all i wanted to listen i actually just listened to it yesterday and it was really good :D
  • i overlistened to down there, shit...
  • MPP had an iconic quality which Centipede Hz doesn't have, imo. Which does not in any way make it automatically better, btw. Though Hz is quite 'poppy', it doesn't have the massive crossover appeal that MPP had. It's not an album which pleases everyone, and it's an album which your liking of it fluctuates wildly (in my case at least) At first I was disappointed with it, then it really grew on me. I haven't listened to it in weeks now, though.
  • [quote=Mzrokkks]At first I was disappointed with it, then it really grew on me. I haven't listened to it in weeks now, though.[/quote] Hey, that sounds a lot like what happened to me.
  • I listened to Merriweather a lot when it came out. A lot a lot. There were months afterward, maybe 7 or 8 months that I would listen to it every few days while hanging with a friend. And when it wasn't Merriweather, it was shows with Merriweather material. I know it's popular to be kind of disdainful about Merriweather, but that was one hell of a great album, really.
  • I wasnt really in to animal collective when mpp came out. I was at school on my ipod looking at their itunes page and I saw that they had a new album out and the first I listened to was in the flowers and i remember thinking it was terrible haha. that was in december. like 6 months later, in june I listened to summertime clothes and that turned me on to the whole album. before that I just listened to fireworks, for reverend green, grass, the purple bottle, banshee beat, and water curses.
  • all these things i hate making me eye rate! :(|)
  • Listened to mpp today. No moment in chz makes me as happy as my girls->also frightened does
  • Gotta agree with that. Or, for me, end of In the Flowers > My Girls. The big beat then the beginning bubbling.
  • Ending of Amanita beats everything on MPP for me But i did listen to that album yesterday, and enjoyed it a lot, especially Daily Routine.
  • i think my girls deserved every ounce of popularity it got, what a phenomenal song
  • Yeah my girls was so simple, but so great. Reminds me of foggy days in early spring
  • It deserved more popularity, as does every other Animal Collective song <):)
  • I like how popular my girls was with more main stream music listeners, however I think most missed the overall message haha.
  • edited October 2012
    Yeah like its about pimping or something hana *haha Thats a really bad typo
  • haha yeah
  • [quote=vesufius]Ending of Amanita beats everything on MPP for me But i did listen to that album yesterday, and enjoyed it a lot, especially Daily Routine.[/quote] Hmm [quote=Ticonderoga]i think my girls deserved every ounce of popularity it got, what a phenomenal song[/quote] Hell yeah.
  • but they had to sacrifice fun
  • edited October 2012
    Sacrificial fun. Very "Genesis."
  • Listening to some of their older stuff like Sung Tongs, Bees, Danse, Person Pitch And i got to thinking that there IS a lot of room for imagination in these releases While CHz leaves NO room for imagination. Not a bad thing, not a good thing, just an observation.
  • I see what you mean. That could help explain why I'm not as partial to it as the other ones; I generally like music that leaves more to suggestion and has a more subtle touch. CHZ is almost more like a trumpet concerto or a Jeff Beck solo -- really intense and great, but it's like everything's out front.
  • good observation
  • Yeah, I thought so.
  • I'm not a big review guy, I really couldn't care less what some person had to say about a certain album. Some of my favorite music over the past couple of years have not had stellar reviews. CHZ is no exception.
  • I think one of the reasons it's taking me so long to delve into this album is because there are fewer smooth transitions then ever. Todays supernatural for example just flips between tempo and key and yet it's a direct flip and very obvious. You don't have to put as much thought into the tempo/beat because it's fairly direct. New Town burnout has a very cool beat.
  • you hat me! hatted plants