Post-Rock

edited December 2012 in Audible
So yeah, that stereotypical pretentious hipster genre known for it's twenty minute songs? It's actually pretty good imho. Most of the postrock albums I've heard are very relaxing, and great to listen to as background music. But at the same time it can be extremely engaging if you let it be. I'm sure you've heard of Mogwai or Godspeed You! Black Emperor, or Explosions In the Sky, but what are some other bands do you listen to, or have heard? I've recently gotten into some Japanese postrock, people like Kashiwa Daisuke, and Yasushi Yoshida. But my favorite so far goes by World's End Girlfriend. Check it out.

Comments

• from wik-wik-wikipedia: British group Public Image Ltd (PiL) were also pioneers, described by the NME[12] as "arguably the first post-rock group". Their second album Metal Box (1979) almost completely abandoned traditional rock and roll structures in favor of dense, repetitive dub and krautrock inspired soundscapes and John Lydon's cryptic, stream-of-consciousness lyrics. The year before Metal Box was released, PiL bassist Jah Wobble declared, "rock is obsolete".[13] That's so funny. I know the "first" post-rock (and explosions in the sky) but not the new one! That's cool!
  • Laura (especially the song "radio swan is down") Carissa's Wierd (not a typo) Russian Circles Rachel's God is an Astronaut pg.lost Caspian
  • ive actually never heard of postrock. this song you posted is amazing though
  • s'ok, man, it's not REAL.
  • Far and away my favorite post rock song is GYBE!'s "Hung Over as the Queen in Maida Vale" Here's Laura's "Is There No Help For The Widow's Son?"
  • More japanese post rock? yes please
  • SWANS- The Seer
  • see her BE her
  • edited June 2013
    I often see Sigur Rós classified as Post-Rock. I don't really get that vibe... Still one of my favorite bands though.
  • post pokolo cock grok!