Your favorite 'grating' band

edited December 2012 in Audible
What bands or artists did/do you listen to that people flip out about, without fail? Not like, bands you listen to that get you strange looks, but bands that will get people to yell 'turn that shit the fuck off!' at you. Mine is probably The Blood Brothers. Yes I still like them, and no I'm not ashamed of it. This is actually one of their more palatable songs if you want to give them a listen. I guess they'd be considered mathrock, avantpunk, and post-hardcore.

Comments

• theres this band called animal collective...
  • I don't usually show music to other people cause I usually don't get a good reaction, but probably stuff like Black Dice, Danielson Famile, older AnCo, etc.
  • Yeeeaaaahhh, it depends, AnCo more often gets me strange looks over negative reactions. But, people don't take too well to songs like Honeycomb or Who Could Win A Rabbit. But what I really mean is stuff you listen that gives other people a headache. Black Dice makes sense, Fuck Buttons would probably fall in that area of noise postrock stuff. I've noticed NMH rubs a lot of people the wrong way, probably the voice.
  • my parents think they sound demonic esp the bees and anything on hcti
  • Early Animal Collective, Early Ween, Mr. Bungle, The Residents, Death Grips. I don't even bother showing my friends any of these.
  • i love showing my friends death grips and black dice although i normally get laughs rather than negative reactions
  • I put "Pigs" by Black Dice on my phone's speaker to annoy my best friend. She says it sounds like someone on a music program just messing around and randomly pressing stuff.
  • SlipKnot, Heaven Shall Burn, Gorgoroth, The Black Dahlia murder, Manson, Opeth, Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir, Mastodon, Nirvana... There's a lot more than those, AnCo, Grizzly Bear, Arcade Fire, pretty much any band I play I get told to put off. My parents aren't very big on the music thing, my dad listens to his Bollywood music and my mom listens to old school rock, but I listen to music constantly and then they get pissed off. I get weird looks when people hear AnCo and NMH and Yeasayer, and a "PUT THAT SHIT OFF!!" For my metal, black metal, and all else. No rap and hip hop and rnb. Hate that shit.
  • id tell you to put that shit off if it was metal tbh
  • metal 4 lyfe The Black Dahlia Murder, right on ever get into Dillinger Escape Plan Despised Icon or All Shall Perish ?
  • coil, john zorn, throbbing gristle.
  • edited June 2013
    Black Dice for sure. Holinndagainn-esque AC. Maybe Swans, If I played their stuff around other people often...
  • You know i realized yesterday im not a fan of grating music. I was listening to Tago Mago for the first time and was absolutely loving it until "Aumgn" came on. Its like 19 minutes of that one creepy scene from Oddsac. I've read someone describe that track as sounding like Satan during an especially painful prostate exam. Its some crazy, grating shit. And i could not fucking take it.
  • edited June 2013
    I like grating music sometimes, it depends on my mood, and HOW grating the music is. I love some Black Dice (Beaches and Canyons, Creature Comforts, Miles of Smiles). I haven't listened to Tago Mago all the way through, so I'm not familiar with that song. Early AC can get pretty grating, but there is some INTENSE noise stuff out there!
  • [quote=CaptainBaconMan]Mine is probably The Blood Brothers. Yes I still like them, and no I'm not ashamed of it.This is actually one of their more palatable songs if you want to give them a listen.I guess they'd be considered mathrock, avantpunk, and post-hardcore.[/quote] Have you heard Past Lives?
  • I think with AC's early stuff, there is almost always some semblance of a nice melody hidden in their songs. Also i need to check out Black Dice. Everyone seems to love them.
  • Beaches & Canyons Beaches & Canyons Beaches & Canyons Beaches & Canyons Beaches & Canyons Beaches & Canyons Beaches & Canyons Beaches & Canyons Beaches & Canyons Beaches & Canyons Beaches & Canyons Beaches & Canyons Beaches & Canyons
  • Yeah a lot of more grating noise music doesn't have as much melody. AC always has really good melodies I'd say. [quote=vesufius]I think with AC's early stuff, there is almost always some semblance of a nice melody hidden in their songs. Also i need to check out Black Dice. Everyone seems to love them.[/quote]
  • I absolutely love grating music 90% of the time. It feels like a conscious cleaner
  • DEMON CLEANER
  • Is this grating music? I'm not sure.
  • stop! it's too late! it's gettin' frust or grating!
  • grating greetings!