How does one..

go about making animal collective style music? What would be the most beginner way to learn using samplers/effects/programs or whatever it is they use?

Comments

• take a whole bunch of drugs, bang on some pots, and yelp a LOT! it helps if yr outside and it's dark and there is a fire! eyah!
  • [quote="theywerecones"]go about making animal collective style music? What would be the most beginner way to learn using samplers/effects/programs or whatever it is they use?[/quote] seriously? get an instrument and make some noise with it. Once you can do that reliably and repeat the type of noise, sing some words over it. despite g.o.'s post, the drugs are strictly optional. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=""> m -->
  • it would be hard with someone with limited funds to make anything like merriweather; there's just too much done in post-production. You can find a shitty old sampler on craig's list probably, and learn how to use it. The best free program for recording that I know of would be audacity, garage band is probably better if you have a mac. If you're comfortable downloading programs that would be normally $200-$600, ableton live is a good digital sampler, pro tools and logic are good recording programs that have a lot of effects and stuff.
  • or you could just use what i mainly use... SOUND RECORDER! [img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wmtCDsEylFI/SGdyjcK0SAI/AAAAAAAAAEw/z521Yc-H_jY/s400/sound_recorder.gif[/img] it is an... utterly amazing program! you can get a LOT out of it! i speak the truth!
  • actually, the best DAW with the sweetest pricepoint I've found is probably reaper -- <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reaper.fm/">http://www.reaper.fm/</a><!-- m --> I prefer it to cubase (which I got with my mixer that I bought via craigslist for 40$). If you're seriously interested and know absolutely no one and have no idea, I suppose you could do worse than to pick up a copy of Computer Music magazine -- it's a UK mag, and comes with a DVD of music-making programs and royalty-free samples; they're about 15$ in the US and often have tutorials on how to use the programs to create a basic track, although it's worth noting that they're more oriented towards electronic and dance music; the "how do i make a sound and record it" part is the thing you'd probably want to take away from it.
  • There's more than a few musicians on the board, just as an FYI if you're looking for a DAW that Reaper is about to release a new version this winter and so they've knocked the price down to 40$ for the current version. which is filthy cheap considering how superawesome it is.
  • [quote="G.O. [!]"]or you could just use what i mainly use... SOUND RECORDER! [img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wmtCDsEylFI/SGdyjcK0SAI/AAAAAAAAAEw/z521Yc-H_jY/s400/sound_recorder.gif[/img] it is an... utterly amazing program! you can get a LOT out of it! i speak the truth![/quote] ALL YOU NEED
  • no multitracking and no automation i needs those.
  • there's multitracking? you can have as many layers as you want! as for auto-matons i don't know what the hell yr even talking about this program has everything you need if you can't do a certain something yr just not being creative enough EXPERIMENT!
  • vst? sync? seriously: i've done it the hard way on both sound recorder and analogue equipment and i'm here to tell you: you don't have to punish yourself like that
  • 1. get instruments (guitar, drum, pans, water bottles, hands, silverware, anything that makes noise forever) 2. pirate pro tools 3. acquaint yourself with Delay, Reverb, and Phaser 4. have no life 5. ????? 6. Profit
  • Me and my friend are working on an experimental album called What Creatures?. Totally inspired by hollindigan.. But also some other bands. We shout, and scream, and hum, and beat on snares, pots, trees, whatever! "Hey kids, lets pick up sticks, lets make a sound of our own!" Its so easy to create music Animal Collective style. Samples aren't needed for their sound.
  • Shallfish, do you have any of What Creatures recorded on the interwebs? I'd love to see or hear this.
  • [quote="Shallfish"]Me and my friend are working on an experimental album called What Creatures?. Totally inspired by hollindigan.. But also some other bands. We shout, and scream, and hum, and beat on snares, pots, trees, whatever! "Hey kids, lets pick up sticks, lets make a sound of our own!" Its so easy to create music Animal Collective style. Samples aren't needed for their sound.[/quote] my favorite example of this is the first nurse with wound album. the best instrument featured on the album is a bicycle.
  • Oh yes. I've used that sound a couple times in my recordings. Put a card in the wheel and spin it. mmm. And you can make a lot of cool sounds with post effects.
  • i once made an album using only the bodies of dead animals gave whole new meaning to the term KILLER tunes...
  • [quote="SpritBear1"]Shallfish, do you have any of What Creatures recorded on the interwebs? I'd love to see or hear this.[/quote] We don't, we sort of never finished it. haha.
  • [quote="G.O. [!]"]i once made an album using only the bodies of dead animals gave whole new meaning to the term KILLER tunes...[/quote] G.O. FOREVER
  • haha! it's just like that!