Panda Bear's " Carrots" Meaning/ interp

edited April 2012 in Animal Tracks
So Carrots is probably one of my top 10 favorite songs of all time, if not my number one favorite. I get the feel that he is talking about how people used to make fun of him for making his music, and how other people think they are better than others for dumb reasons. When he says " Whats the point in pouring it all out, when you guys just wear it on your coats, I believe that for this piece of time, we can really crank us up alot" he means that people ( other artists) seem to " let all of their emotions out" just to get attention and to get people to listen to their music. Any one else have any ideas about this master piece of a song? I also think that more people should hear it and it is really under rated. probably one of the most meaningful songs/ best made, to me at least.

Comments

• in combination with good girls it's my favorite panda bear song. and i agree with your thoughts on the song entirely
  • I agree thats it underrated. Its definately my favorite song of Panda's. I have to listen to it again to decipher the meaning. Hold on a sec...
  • I meant to add that I don't quite know what he means by " I believe that for this piece of time we can really crank us up a lot".
  • post lyrics. i know the song but not the lyrics
  • That old good boy Mitch just wanted to tell some jokes Well, now I'm just trying to play some notes Do you know what I say? Do you know what I mean? Have you heard through these words just how I'm seen? There's a reason that I work so hard at this stuff When all I want to do is take it easy It's not a ticket for you to pick at other people Who don't know what's up like you're so sure you do You kind of make me want to shut your mouth Just to keep out all of those unfriendly feelings Just because you've got a lot of wax and all those first editions I want you to know sticks and stones may break my bones But words will never hurt me All I need to know I knew so early It's so lame that you could take my feelings And make yourself feel like you're better than anyone else who hasn't heard Listen in between your notes There's something been going on while you were busy taking notes And look in between your moments There's something good happening It's good to sometimes slow it down What's the point in pouring it all out when you guys just wear it on your coat? I believe that for this piece of time we can really crank us up a lot Get your head out from those mags and websites who try to shape your style Take a risk just for yourself and wade into the deep end of the ocean - To me it's an anti-hipster message. He's talking about people that take Panda's music and wear like a badge on their coat. Hipster - "What you listen to MGMT? Hahaha, you should really listen to Panda Bear, in the realm of Beach Boys copy cats, he is vastly superior to those mainstream baked pop artists." Panda - "It's so lame that you could take my feelings and make yourself feel like you're better than anyone else who hasn't heard. What's the point in pouring [my soul] out when you guys just wear it on your coat?" Hipster - "Hey man, I'm just trying to educate the world in real music. The critics know what they're talking about when they said Person Pitch was the best of the year." Panda - "Get your head out from those mags and websites who try to shape your style. Take a risk just for yourself and wade into the deep end of the ocean. Listen in between your notes. There's something been going on while you were busy taking notes. Look in between your moments, there's something good happening. It's good to sometimes slow it down." Of course, I exaggerated the hipster character to make a point, but I hope you guys all get what I'm saying.
  • Yep that is what I thought. Second greatest hipster reference song is this one...the best is "I'm Losing My Edge"!
  • I love that song! I WAS THERE.
  • the dude likes his carrot rot! his carrots rotten! GROTTEN