Disturbing Anco songs?

edited April 2012 in Animal Tracks
Ok, so there are a few anymal songs that I had to stop listening to (regularly/too often) because they disturb me on a level that I feel is emotionally unhealthy. The most severe of these is Cuckoo. It almost physically sickens me. Also on the list is The Living Toys and Bleed (Unsolved Mysteries could be in that category, but I have fallen too deep in love with it to save myself. and Street Flash triggers acid flashbacks so I listen to it cautiously.) Surely I am not the only person who has experienced this? anybody? (PS first discussion!)

Comments

• Is this when you're on a trip? Because sometimes pretty harsh and abrasive sounds can give you the fear... I've found that a lot of harsh sounds can be kind of beautiful at the same time. :) The space in Loch Raven has nearly given me a bad trip but I held it together. I love Cuckoo Cuckoo, does it bum you out that it makes you sick?
  • Cuckoo Cuckoo is one of my favourite songs of all time, I don't think I've ever had a bad reaction to an AC song. Well there's songs I haven't liked at first, but other than that...
  • I WAS SOBER. so sober. Cuckoo just... the subject matter! the voice! the desperation! AGH! really it bothers me because actually, i consider it as one of their best songs. but loch raven could give me issues but i make up nonsensical words to sing to it. (but i cant seem to disconnect the words from the music with Cuckoo Cuckoo. but um street flash i did listen to whilst coming down and i feel like that song is about acid and they are forever intertwined in my mind but neither is really bad just mind boggling.
  • edited April 2012
    Lablakely Dress is unlistenable to me and is why (no one hate me for saying this) I have never gotten through Danse Manatee. My siblings try tease me by putting that song on because it disturbs me so much. It sounds like a bunch of gurgling crickets and screeching noises, in a bad way, not a good way. My whole body tenses up and I feel sick, like you do Ly! its terrible...
  • I was sober and I guess I had a listen to Cuckoo Cuckoo where i'm just lying on my bed screaming the lyrics with my eyes closed. It feels so weird when a song can do that. I guess For Reverend Green can do the same too.
  • HA i just very recently got over my uncomfortableness with lablakely dress due to a live recording i got (from other music) and i could actually! understand the melody and structure of the song. but before that it really just wasnt worth the listen to me. its ok narnie, you can get through this. we are here for you.
  • Man, you guys :D You have inspired me to listen to Strawberry Jam again, an album I had put aside for a rainy day because it is my favourite AnCo album! I don't want to over listen to it..... but so good.
  • I can understand that difficulty. My brother is the same way so I understand why it is difficultto get through Danse. I really hope you can get through a whole listen, we can help! And yes, Straw Jam is best reserved for a rainy day, so one can savor it's sweet, and at times, frightening sounds. I need to listen to that with my brother now.
  • (i might have said that i dislike cuckoo because it is maybe their best song, but i meant it bothers me that i dislike it b/c it might be their best song and i wish i had the capacity to just wallow in it for days without this immense emotional hangover. for clarification.) but claudeavecvin! go listen. the album is a masterpiece!
  • edited April 2012
    I can listen to Lablakely live, but the studio recording disturbs me too much. More than any song I have heard. I am not sure why that is so. When I listen to it I imagine horrible things... little winged creatures crouching... a pair of a detached yellow eyes... a nefarious smile... insects coming out of the floorboards. I find it odd too because its supposed to be a love song...
  • the studio recording is pretty dense for my tastes as well, but i still love it/them. but all of that imagery you described does seem fitting. i wouldnt listen to it either if thats what came to my mind. bad romance kinda love song? idk. GAGA on da brain... i apologize for that.
  • It seems like Avey is being a creep at first, and it sounds as if he's creeping in a bad way, but I find that he loves a bit too much in a good way.
  • YES. but it is delicious. he indulges my own croc creepiness. he extracts it from my soul. i didnt even know it was there befer anco. (and its so genuine and not malicious.)
  • I don't really find any of their songs disturbing or anything of that nature. There are very few songs by any artist that disturb me anyway. Haha.
  • oddsac wildy disturbed me the first time viewing it.
  • Yeah, songs usually don't disturb me. To be disturbed by something there usually has to be a visual element. (Art wise, it's different if like, I hear or read about something disturbing actually happening)
  • Wait whut? How does Bluish disturb you Ly, jw ?
  • Love songs make me feel unhappy inside. Some. Sometimes.
  • did i say bluish bothered me? um. it doesnt. i am not sure if/where i said that.
  • I am sorry to hear that Wini. Bluish is one of the most beautiful songs to me.
  • So it has been a couple of months since I last listened to Lablakely. And I just listened to it. It doesnt make me cringe as much as it used to. Its still unlistenable to me but I dont feel like I am dying. I have just become more accustomed to AnCo, I guess. And I am sorry to say , I still find "Essplode" to be the only track on Danse worth listening to :(
  • it might just take time. before i got into spirit and danse, i couldnt listen to mpp. not at all. it felt corrosive. but now i like it. some stuff just takes time. or maybe its just not for you. idk. good luck. i am listening to danse now. i understand the issue though, i think. they have enough other music so... nbd.
  • fried camp, or vamp, whichever one it was with the ferocious biting scared me on first listen. also, one time i was on a bus trip back from a ski hill at night, listening to some happy song on shuffle and then Panic starts playing. needless to say i got insane shivers down my spine. the only song that gives me unsettling images within my mind is Untitled
  • @claude, i feel that way about sung tongs. i am deathly afraid of over-listening because i want to love that album for the rest of my life
  • The scary part Tic Toc is that I think I already may have done that :( ... Fireworks has lost some of it's initial magic because I've listened to it probably more than 50 times. That's why I'm giving it a break right now so I can pick it back up later. I still consider it my favourite album of all time.
  • There's a happy medium. Don't be so afraid of over-listening that you never listen at all. That would be silly. But don't listen to it all day either. I've found that a great deal of a song's enjoyability has to do with you particular emotions when you listen to it. If you listen to a song, it usually brings back memories and nostalgia. I guess if you listen to it too much though, you have so many memories that it doesn't really matter anymore. I dunno. It's interesting.
  • Yeah, agreed Doc. I try maintain a good level of nostalgia and enjoyment. It's like a fine line though.
  • Mayhaps we make efforts to create new memorious moments. See, with Bluish though, I am so resistant to listening that I hinder myself from making new memoricak attachments. Like, if I had listened to it with G.O. when he was here, et cetera et cetera.
  • edited May 2012
    I could see how you could have negative connotations with the song Wini :( Just do your best to make new memories and keep the old somewhere hidden but not lost for days when it rains.
  • Bluish is the first ac song that broke through my skull to enjoy. The lyrics and music hit at the same time and I immedietly liked that song on the first listen. Then I liked in the flowers and summertime clothes and eventually taste andeven also frightened. then i pandora'd them?> and fireworks, kids on holiday all made me love them all the more. But Bluish!!!! My girl has curls so it was easy to love the opening line for me.
  • Same here Sagey, Bluish is still my favourite MPP track.
  • MPP is the only album where i could argue for every track being the best of the album
  • Yeah, Bluish is what got me to likee AnCo. The lyrics were so effortlessly beautiful, I dont know how one could not fall in love! (and I have curls also hehe)
  • People used to make me a bit agitated, but in a good way ? I'd always scream in my car with it on
  • People, Street Flash, and Safer are all songs which I love screaming along with.
  • people gets me so pumped! i love that whole EP. its underrated imo
  • agreed. wish it was longer !
  • Covered in frogs is pretty creepy
  • Panic I fell asleep listeining to Here Comes the Indian once (i have no idea how...) and woke up to that. It was pretty terrifying.
  • I fell asleep to Danse and woke up during the later parts of Meet the Light Child, that song is scary as hell! I really want to hear that song played live with all the current samplers and instruments that the band has.
  • how the heck did you fall asleep to danse! and what made you think "i'm a bit sleepee... think i'll put on danse!" for humanity!
  • It was 3am and I just got done chatting with Clawed and I already listened to 5 hours of other AC songs that day so Danse was one of my last choices I had not already listened to that day.
  • x-plode made you essleep!
  • edited June 2012
    Being up for about 20 hours made me sleep, G.O. (edited because of gramma)!
  • made you sleep ME? oh god! just wait til i sleep YOU! oh i'll have a lil sleepi!
  • Fisheh and Ghosty are sleeping each other! (Oh god!)
  • • . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~., . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-., . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:, . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\, . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,} . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.} . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./ . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./ . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./ . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/ . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .} . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../ . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../ . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-” . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\ . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__ ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-, . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\ . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--
  • Lion in my Comma! Damn Punctuation! Awesome Facepalm
  • it's like this board is ST:TNG and i'm commander data! and you? mr. gaeta! eyah!