Favorite Albums

I like making lists and reading other people's, so I thought I'd make a top 10 favorite albums thread. There is probably already one somewhere on this site, it seems like that happens every time I make a new thread haha. no particular order: 1. MPP 2. The Evil One (Plus One)- Roky Erickson 3. Strawberry Jam 4. Season Dreaming- Blind Man's Colour 5. Oracular Spectacular- MGMT 6. Person Pitch 7. Legend- Bob Marley 8. Feels 9. Fall Be Kind 10. Chronicle- top 20- Creedance Clearwater Revival What are your top 10 favorite albums?

Comments

• 1. Here Comes The Indian 2. Feels 3. Merriweather 4. Spirit 5. NMH - Aeroplane 6. Person Pitch 7. The Books - The Lemon of Pink 8. Sung Tongs 9. Strawberry Jam 10. Radiohead - In Rainbows In Rainbows is there just because it's the first album that really opened my eyes to a wide world of music beyond what anyone in my high school listened to. Clearly that world isn't so wide when it comes to my favorites though, ha.
  • edited December 2012
    I screwed up, ignore this post.
  • 1. The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me - Brand New 2. Float - Aesop Rock 3. Tomboy 4. Hurtbreak Wonderland - World's End Girlfriend 5. By The Throat - Eyedea & Abilities 6. Fevers And Mirrors - Bright Eyes 7. Fall Be Kind 8. In the Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel 9. Grey Oceans - CocoRosie 10. Phantom on the Horizon - The Fall of Troy These aren't exactly in order, and there are plenty of other albums I love just as much. I tried to make my list diverse though. MPP would be on the list but I'm a little burnt out on it right now, so I haven't been listening to it lately. Brand New's The Devil And God was one of those albums that vastly expanded my taste in music, not to mention getting me through high school and helping me work out my ideas about god and pain. Before then all I really listened to was punk revival, pop punk, hardcore, and screamo. It got me into more progressive, slower, and less uppity music. It also introduced me to shoegaze bands like The Jesus and Mary Chain, and My Bloody VaValentine.
  • It makes me so happy TDAGARIM is your favorite. Brand New was the first big group i saw when i was 15 in chicago
  • In Order: 1. Panda Bear-Person Pitch (2007) 2. The Avalanches-Since I Left You (2000) 3. Mr. Bungle-Disco Volante (1995) 4. Animal Collective-Sung Tongs/Strawberry Jam (2004/07) 5. Ween-The Mollusk (1997) 6. Can-Tago Mago (1971) 7. XTC-Skylarking (1986) 8. Animal Collective-Merriweather Post Pavilion (2009) 9. Manic Street Preachers-The Holy Bible (1994) 10. Death Grips-The Money Store (2012) 11. AC-Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished (2000) 12. Battles-Mirrored (2007) 13. Aphex Twin-Drukqs (2001) 14. Nirvana-In Utero (1993) 15. The Prodigy-Music For the Jilted Generation (1994)
  • edited December 2012
    [quote=thepurplebottle6]It makes me so happy TDAGARIM is your favorite. Brand New was the first big group i saw when i was 15 in chicago[/quote] Deja Entendu is pretty close to being just as good imho. I like Daisy but it took a while to grow on me. And You're Favorite Weapon is good (especially in songs like soco), but it's too immature of a sound. Fightoffyourdemons had a lot of good ideas to. I've only seen them live once so far, I was like 16 I think, but I've had the privilege of going to concerts since I was twelve. It was still memorable though, since they were one of my favorite bands. You listen to Manchester Orchestra? [quote=ElCamino]Ween-The Mollusk (1997)[/quote] It's been quite a while since I've listened to Ween. I'd have to say 12 Golden Country Greats is my favorite album by them, but Hey There Fancy Pants is the song I think of when someone mentions them for some reason. It gets in your fucking brain man.
  • captainbaconman, garbage by aesop rock is such a good song
  • Daisy is made to be heard live, at least thats what i read somewhere. Deja is good as well but not a gem to me. Your Favorite Weapon hits me hard sometimes.. But actually Manchester Orchestra opened up for Brand New when i saw them, I've seen em twice now and also went to one of Andy Hull's solo shows. I like their old stuff more than new. I saw Ween at Lolla two years ago, they rule!!
  • Ohai there :ar! 1) Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam 2) Avey Tare - Down There 3) Joanna Newsom - Ys 4) Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest 5) Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion 6) Radiohead - Kid A 7) We Must Become Pitiless Censors of Ourselves - John Maus 8) Turn on the Bight Lights - Interpol 9) of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? 10) Panda Bear - Tomboy 11) Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz 12) Danielson Famile - Fetch the Compass Kids 13) Parallax - Atlas Sound 14) Animal Collective - Fall Be Kind 15) Deerhoof - Friend Oppurtunity
  • I used to listen to 'Ships' by Danielson all the time.. people generally found it more annoying than AC even, haha.
  • You really like Age of Adz over Sufjan's other stuff? Personally, Illinois and it's b-sdes are my favorite. And that album has a looooot of b-sides.
  • [quote=Xiomera]I used to listen to 'Ships' by Danielson all the time.. people generally found it more annoying than AC even, haha.[/quote] Yeah most people mind his voice grating, you kind of have to get into it. It's so fun after a while though. [quote=CaptainBaconMan]You really like Age of Adz over Sufjan's other stuff? Personally, Illinois and it's b-sdes are my favorite. And that album has a looooot of b-sides.[/quote] Illinois is a great album and when it was released I loved it but over the years I got sick of it. Now it's a bit over-exuberant where I find Age of Adz more straight forward with less meandering. Plus electoniiiiiks!
  • if i had to ask anyone in this thread to make me a mixtape that would be glued to my car's cassette deck in 1994, it would be elcamino
  • [quote=Ticonderoga]captainbaconman, garbage by aesop rock is such a good song[/quote] You should check out the Appleseed EP, it's close to his best stuff. I didn't really feel None Shall Pass or Skelethon, not sure why. [quote=thepurplebottle6]Daisy is made to be heard live, at least thats what i read somewhere. Deja is good as well but not a gem to me. Your Favorite Weapon hits me hard sometimes..But actually Manchester Orchestra opened up for Brand New when i saw them, I've seen em twice now and also went to one of Andy Hull's solo shows. I like their old stuff more than new.I saw Ween at Lolla two years ago, they rule!![/quote] Yeah, I was going to the nearby show in that tour, but I didn't get to. I ended up seeing them in there post studio daisy period, so yeah they played a lot of it live for me. I don't normally judge albums by how their live performances sound though, since most of the bands I listen to mix it up considerably live. Weirdly enough it's easier to understand his screaming live. But yeah, Jessey Lacey even said "Go out and download our new album, I'm sure it's somewhere on the internet already." I ended up getting it for free anyways, and a bunch of other swag. Street teams are the shit. But yeah, I saw Manchester at 2007 Bonnaroo when it was really just their first album. I kind of miss that sound, but they turned darker. Although there is his wonderful side project Right Away, Great Captain!. Have you heard it?
  • @CaptainBaconMan Yeah, by saying I went to Andy Hull's solo show I meant RAGC! but it wasn't ideal- very small venue with a bunch of people packed in shoulder to shoulder during the middle of summer, sweating your tits off. he sounded fantastic though, and I was like 3rd row from the stage. his voice is so captivating to me
  • edited December 2012
    and captain-vating to th' kap tan!
  • BRING ME THE BACON, MAN!
  • [quote=thepurplebottle6]Daisy is made to be heard live, at least thats what i read somewhere. [/quote] I saw them during their Canadian tour last summer, and the material from Daisy was just.. impressive. Of course, I could be biased since Daisy's my favourite record of theirs (and possibly my favourite ever). [quote=claudeavecvin]Xiomera said:Illinois is a great album and when it was released I loved it but over the years I got sick of it. Now it's a bit over-exuberant where I find Age of Adz more straight forward with less meandering. Plus electoniiiiiks![/quote] Illinois was the first Sufjan album I picked up. But I agree, Age of Adz is a much easier album to listen to over and over and over again. Has anyone listened to Silver & Gold yet? I think Christmas Unicorn might be my favourite Sufjan song ever. I think my favourite albums are something like Strawberry Jam, Daisy, Age of Adz, In Rainbows, Now Now - Threads, Mother Mother - O My Heart, Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary, Modest Mouse - Good News I found out the other day that Isaac Brock produced Apologies to the Queen Mary, and I think Win Butler was involved somehow too.
  • because he's MY butler!
  • christmas unicorn live was a beast to behold!
  • I am incredibly jealous right now.
  • still wish i had seen him on the age of adz tour though! now THAT would have been a time!
  • still wish i had seen him on the age of adz tour though! now THAT would have been a time!
  • whoops! what the HELL
  • [quote=CaptainBaconMan]1. The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me - Brand New[/quote] degausser and limosine are such powerful songs.
  • edited February 2013
    [quote=G.O. !]still wish i had seen him on the age of adz tour though! now THAT would have been a time![/quote] You can say that again. [quote=vesufius]degausser and limosine are such powerful songs.[/quote] And don't forget Luca and (I know, I know, it's the single. But sill.) Jesus Christ.
  • edited February 2013
    funny you mention Luca. Its my least favorite on the album. Mainly because of how the scream in the middle of the song just comes out of nowhere and scares the hell out of me each time. I love Jesus Christ (lol)
  • iiiii llooooovee yooooouuu jeeessuu-uuus kaa-riii-iiii-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiist. Really? Shoot, that's the main reason I love Luca. A lot of bands try to pull that off, and most of the time it comes off as cliche. With BN though, I almost drove off the road though the first time I listened to it. Also, lets get nerdy and over-analyze those two songs for a second. The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me has both Jesus Christ, the most soothing song on the album, and Luca (Lucifer), the most jarring song. Both songs also have a similar structure of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-climax. I think some of the subtle things Lacey does are absolute genius.
  • whatever comes to mind Finding jerry garcia anthem of the sun american pie the mask and the mirror merrywheather post pavillian undun down there dark side of the moon 40 oz to freedom a live one
  • i cant wait to check out brand new now, so i can dip in my oar.
  • Yo toomanytrees that makes a lot of sense! I have to admit though, i didnt know Luca meant Lucifer :\">
  • I'm not sure if Luca directly translates to Lucifer, but it is the root word that the name Lucifer is built off. Any sort of mythology gets weird like that with its names with different translations and whatnot. I learned that Jesus and Joshua are the same name the other day :P
  • wooden ships on the water!
  • I forget what Jebus name originally was. Jeshwe or somthing like that.
  • Yeshua, that's his name
  • meddle>dsotm !!!!
  • e-manual .... mule / manure! MANNY MOE! kinda like his brother Jimmy!
  • edited February 2013
    This band reminds me of AnCo a lot. Couldn't find a studio recording on youtube, but this still sounds really good. Also, this song (and the whole album) is about Mario Kart...no, seriously
  • yes! i love that band / album! the other stuff before was groovy too... the all vocal mini album and the bonus album / earlier songs... king king boo he is spooky spooky spooky! i'm talking about shells shells shells!
  • Updated! My top 20 albums as of March 29, 2013 1. Panda Bear-Person Pitch (2007) 2. The Avalanches-Since I Left You (2000) 3. Animal Collective-Sung Tongs/Strawberry Jam (2004/07) 4. Why?-Alopecia (2008) 5. Mr. Bungle-Disco Volante (1995) 6. Animal Collective-Merriweather Post Pavilion (2009) 7. Ween-The Mollusk (1997) 8. Clouddead-Clouddead (2001) 9. The Prodigy-Music For the Jilted Generation (1994) 10. Can-Tago Mago (1971) 11. AC-Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished (2000) 12. XTC-Skylarking (1986) 13. Manic Street Preachers-The Holy Bible (1994) 14. Death Grips-The Money Store (2012) 15. Battles-Mirrored (2007) 16. Max Tundra-Parallax Error Beheads You (2008) 17. Clouddead-Ten (2004) 18. Wire-Pink Flag (1977) 19. Dr. Octagon-Dr. Octagonecologyst (1996) 20. The Dismemberment Plan-Emergency & I (1999) And there we have it!
  • I'd call you a hipster but I don't want to admit I'm stupid. That's a kick ass list.
  • Haha yes dr.octagon!!
  • edited April 2013
    1. Deerhunter - Monomania
  • woah, i cant believe i forgot that came out.
  • well it hasnt been released yet. it just leaked today.
  • what i mean i just forgot it was an album that was happening soon
  • it kinda came out of nowhere! NOW it is HERE!