What's more important to you, sound or the lyrics?

edited June 2012 in Audible
For me it's the sound, absolutely no contest. When I listen to music the singer is just another instrument, albeit a crucial and often pivotal one. However they could be singing about cat food for all I care, as long as I'm digging the rhythm and the melodies and the ambiance. I assumed it was probably the same for everyone, but some people I've asked have said that lyrics are actually the most important part of song for their tastes. A lot of the time I don't even pay attention much attention to lyrics. There are exceptions, like Bob Dylan, where I'm totally drawn in. Anyway, what say you?

Comments

• Well, the sound is very important but, I think the lyricss determine a good band from a great band. My favorite bands have the best lyrics , while bands I like have okay lyrics. I really like lyrics to be meaningful to the singer or to life. I love AC lyrics because they can be interpreted as so many things and still mean something relevant to the listener.
  • edited June 2012
    I agree with almost exactly what Narnia said. I love how lyrics sound, but too make that sound amplify, the lyrics he or she is singing need to be pretty good. Animal Collective is a perfect example because not only are they sung in a unique and very original way, they have multiple deep meanings open to the listeners interpretation. Arcade Fire is another great band for either fans of how lyrics are sung, or the actual lyrics for their meanings.
  • I'm more like Zaphox with this, most of the time I have no idea what they're saying. Mostly cause I'm not listening to what they're saying but how they're saying it. Well, singing it.
  • THE SOUND OF SOUNDS! doesn't matter what the HELL they saying cuz nobody gives a fuck!